The Bach Choir of Bethlehem and the American Bach Society announce the seventh biennial competition for American singers with special interest in the music of J. S. Bach.
On May 6, 2012, ten finalists will appear before a panel of distinguished judges and a live audience in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
The First Prize winner chosen by the judges on that day will receive a career development grant of $3,000 and a solo performing opportunity with The Bach Choir of Bethlehem and Greg Funfgeld, Artistic Director & Conductor, in a future season.
In addition to the first prize, up to three additional cash awards of $500 may be awarded to other finalists, at the judges’ discretion.
Judges at the Finals on May 6, 2012, will include
• Greg Funfgeld, Artistic Director and Conductor of the Bach Choir of Bethlehem
• Other distinguished Bach performers and specialists, to be announced
The Competition is open to citizens of the United States who were born after May 6, 1982.
(As of the finals on May 6, 2012, you must not yet have reached your 30th birthday.)
- Preliminary application is by audio recording only (details below).
- From these preliminary applications, ten finalists will be chosen.
- Application Deadline Friday, March 30, 2012.
- All applications must be received by the Competition Administrator on or before this date.
- All applicants will be notified no later than April 10.
- The ten finalists will sing in Bethlehem, PA, on Sunday, May 6, 2012, 12:30–3:00pm.
- Location: Peter Hall, Moravian College, Bethlehem, PA 18018.
- At the finals, each singer will present two Bach arias of his/her choice, with piano accompaniment. Piano accompanist will be provided. Finalists may bring their own accompanist if desired.
- Finalists must provide their own transportation to Bethlehem for the finals. By car, Bethlehem is 90 minutes north of Philadelphia and ca. 2 hours west of New York City. (Google Map)
- The nearest commercial airport is the Lehigh Valley Airport in Allentown, Pennsylvania. (Airport website)
The finals occur at the conclusion of the first weekend of the 2012 Bethlehem Bach Festival. Finalists may request complimentary tickets to any concerts they wish to attend for this weekend of the Bethlehem Bach Festival. (Concerts take place on Friday and Saturday. There are no Festival concerts on Sunday. Ticket availability may be limited.)